POPI Data Discovery Assessment
Despite the fact that every company invest considerable resources into unstructured and semi structured data management, the effectiveness of existing solutions and methodology is very limited due to the fact that the answer to the simple questions below require a lot of time and efforts or simply not achievable
- Where’s the sensitive data, who has access to it and who is using it?
- Is the assess to the data limited only to the employees which really need it and how can entitlement reviews can be automated
- Who has access to VIP mailboxes and who is reading mails in them?
- Is there any abnormal or malicious behavior taking place with the data?
Varonis Systems is public US based company (NSDQ VRNS) specializing in SW solutions for Unstructured and semi –structured data governance, control and security. Varonis solutions covers the data stored on windows/Unix/NAS file shares. MS SharePoint, MS Exchange Directory Services and Office365 enabling our customers to make sure that access to this data is only available for those employees who really need it based on business need and every data touch is monitored.
Varonis provide questions to all of the above questions with its Software framework and operational methodology enabling organizations to clean the existing environment and maintain it “clean” using automation and minimum resources.
Varonis engineers will assess the security of your unstructured data by collecting and analyzing metadata from your environment (CIFS data available on NAS devices and file servers) and give you a comprehensive report identifying high risk areas, exposed sensitive data, out of control processes, and more.
- Free 14 days risk assessment on limited and predefined infrastructure, can be performed on production data to estimate real risks and exposure
- Risk assessment summary and discussion of priorities
- Risk assessment report
Some of the questions and challenges organizations have around unstructured data prior to Varonis include;
- Who has access to the data? (permissions visibility)
- Who is accessing this data? (detailed audit trail)
- Where is my exposed sensitive data? (PCI, POPI, HIPAA, IP, etc.)
- Who should have access to the data?
- Who are the data owners?
- What data is stale?
- Is there Anomalous access occurring with our data?
The Risk Assessment with provided a detailed report on the following key Criteria;
- Folders with Global Group Access
- Folders with Unique Permissions
- Sensitive Files with Global Group Access
- Folders that are protected from Inheritance
- Users with Varonis Removal Recommendations
- Folders that have Unresolved SID’s
- Stale but Enabled Users in AD Accounts
- Security Groups with no users in AD
- Folders with Inconsistent (Broken) Permissions
- Folders where a user is assigned directly
- Folders with Stale Data
- Looped Nested Groups within AD
- Stale Sensitive Files
- Users with Passwords that don’t expire